Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Frustrated Couponer

My last trip to "that big supercenter" in my local town was successful, as far as savings is concerned, and was a success in lessons learned, as well. As I stated in an earlier post, I saved over $200 at a certain supercenter, but those savings also came with a priceless lesson: you'll most likely have the easiest, most enjoyable experience if you choose a checkout line that is NOT being occupied by an older woman. I'm not really sure why this rule is a fact, because you (or at least I) would think that a woman, mainly middle-aged or older, that normally would be the main grocery shopper in her household in my area, would want and even encourage saving money at the grocery store!! So when I read this rule, was told by a friend, and even a couple strangers in the store that also coupon, I didn't really take it seriously. Oh boy, I will now!!!

First of all, when I go shopping, it takes a really long time. I have to be organized, have my list of coupons, a list of items to buy and how many of each with regular price and sale price (for comp. purposes), and my huge binder that takes up the top part of the buggy. I'm constantly checking to be sure I'm buying the correct amount and size of each item. A normal trip for me is around 3 hours. A LONG time to be in one store!!

This particular trip was super annoying, because the checkout line I chose had a lady in her, ummm, let's say late 50's to early 60's, whom has never had a personality, good or bad, in the past, but has never bothered me. I'm not there to make friends, anyway. Just check me out and I'll be on my way. I'm busy, they're busy, and I understand that. I've been there. This woman did a price inquiry on every single item in my buggy before getting the comp. price from me and determining if she wanted to take my word on it! I know some people take advantage of the store's price-match guarantee, but their corporate policy clearly states that they won't question you and you don't have to bring the ad with you. Luckily, I brought them for my own reference, and had to show her nearly every ad for nearly every item's comp. price, for over six different store's ads! After calling the CSM several times, for permission to give me discounts, her manager even got aggravated and said, "just give it to her!" It took her over 1 1/2 hours to check me out! Add that to my already 3 hour shopping experience, and the fact that I had a 2-year-old with me, ready to eat when we got to the cashier, and you have some ill people!!

So, I can't stress enough: if and when you get ready to start this, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you pay attention to the cashier you are about to spend a lot of time with. I have my favorites already at my local store, and you will, too, whether intentionally or not.

No comments: