Friday, February 10, 2012

Did you see that?

Well, my oldest had his eyes checked at school, and they suggested I take him to an optometrist for a re-evaluation, just as a precaution. I figured there was nothing to worry about, but went ahead with making the appointment. I mean, that's why we have the insurance, right? And if he does need glasses, how horrible would I feel for knowing and brushing it aside? Anyway, we went, they dilated his eyes, checked, and double-checked and luckily, found no problems. While I was making his appointment for this check, I decided since I've never had more than the eye chart test they give you with a sports physical, I might need to get checked as well. I mean, my eyes have always been good, never had any problems at all in that area, but what the heck? I'll go, let him tell me the same, and not have to go back. That's one less thing to be on my mind. So a few weeks after Ian was seen, I saw the same doctor (he's great, by the way). He did the routine check, dilated my eyes, and found out that I need glasses!!! I was so shocked! My eyes aren't bad at all, but one eye is far-sighted with an astigmatism and the other eye is near-sighted. On their on, neither would require the aid of glasses or contacts, but since they're completely opposite in problems, they're constantly "fighting" each other to focus, causing them to never be at rest. Therefore, I've been having slight headaches for a while now that have been blamed on just being tired or on sinuses. Now I know the real reason. I guess I'm glad I went, now. My headaches have nearly all gone, and I can definitely tell a difference when I wear my glasses. I don't have to wear them all the time, but I do need them when I drive, read, write, work on the computer, or just need my eyes to focus on something specific. Just around the house cleaning, playing with the boys, or out riding around, I don't have to have them, but the doctor did say he would suggest me getting contacts when I start back to work. We'll have to see about that. I don't know if I want to stick my eyes every day, twice a day or more. I may stick with the glasses, if they hold up to my abuse.

One final thought: Some of my favorite, most vivid and crisp shows that are in HD were awesome before... now they just plain ROCK!!! Can't wait for some of my fall favorites to come back on.

No comments: