Friday, January 20, 2012

Couponing 101

I have jumped on the band wagon of couponing. A really good friend brought me into the loop, and I am officially addicted!!

I wasn't sure I would be able to understand it all, I didn't know if I'd be able to stick with it, and I was so afraid I would wind up spending more money than I would be able to save. I figured I would clip a few coupons, buy some things I didn't normally use just because it was "too good of a deal" to pass up, and leave the store with a doubled grocery bill. I'm just being honest.

My friend sat down and showed me all her coupons, her filing system, how she makes her grocery list, and gave me numerous websites for information and coupons, and she even started me off with a few of her coupons. She answered all my questions, and gave me a few tips that she's picked up on since she started it. Her stockpile of coupons, circulars, and products were amazing, and a little bit overwhelming. What if I didn't find all those good deals? What if I cost us more money? What in the world am I gonna do with all those products? This was going through my head constantly while I was getting organized, researching websites, learning the "coupon lingo."

I finally decided to "bite the bullet" and go shopping. As long as I stick to my list, I should do fine. So I headed to my local Walmart. They match prices from other stores, and allow coupons on top of those deals. Not to mention that's where I get my groceries, anyway, so going there was an easy decision. And the result (for my first try at this):

I SAVED A TOTAL OF $95.21!!!!!

Not the "Extreme" savings you see on t.v., but it's a pretty good start, if I may say so. I'm loving this so far, and could not wait for the hubs to get home to share my savings news!

2 comments:

kimberly t. bowling said...

I think that's pretty EXTREME...great job! I've been couponing a little for about a year now. I shop mostly at Publix while I'm in town with TB...I've gotten some really good deals but never tried it at Wal-Mart, maybe I need to come get some pointers!

Cordes Mom said...

I haven't gotten extreme compared to some of those crazy people on t.v. Not that I wouldn't, if I had the time and focus. I really like doing my shopping at Walmart, mainly because they will match competitor prices, which means I'm not running all over town to get all the good deals. I'm getting a little better at it as time goes by, but I've only had one problem with Walmart; not all cashiers know their coupon and ad-match policies. I've actually had to argue their policy at the cash registers a couple times. Its a different experience every time I go, but I've never had to get rude or have them get rude with me. If u do decide to give Walmart a try, I definitely suggest thoroughly reading their policies on their website. If I was a betting woman, is bet most of their cashier's have never read those and are only saying what they've heard through the "grapevine".