Friday, January 6, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys

It's so hard to remember sometimes, especially with me being female (obvious, I know), that boys are so completely and utterly different than girls. I have the awesome, God-given blessing of being the mother of two wonderful little boys; 7 yrs. and 2 yrs. They're your typical boys: so sweet, full of love, tempers that I swear is from their daddy's side of the family but know that they get their fair share from mine, usually covered in dirt and whatever messy food they've eaten that day (even though I'm constantly washing hands and mouths), full of surprises that only boys can think of (like flowers in their pockets picked just for me), and most importantly, they both have the biggest hearts in such small people.
I've been inspired by a blog post I read that has circulated through Facebook and Pinterest. It's called http://studerteam.blogspot.com/2011/11/11/25-rules-for-mothers-of-sons.html (Team Studer). If you haven't read it and have boys, nephews, grandsons, or have friends with boys, I strongly encourage you to read her post.
Every night at bedtime, we're starting "favorite time of today" by all saying what our favorite part of that particular day was. Whether it was spending time with someone special, going to a new or favorite place, helping a friend, or simply having pancakes for breakfast, I feel like saying these out loud gives us all a chance to think back on all the positives for that day and makes going to bed a lot easier for little ones. And it's not a bad idea for us adults, either, because when I'm having a not-so-good day, and hear my little ones say their favorite part of the day was spending time with me, it makes my heart just melt! It instantly turns my day into one of my best ever.
Tonight's Favorites of the Day:
Ian: "spending the afternoon with you and Tucker riding the four wheelers"
Tucker: "Chocka!!!" (from Will Ferrell's Land of the Lost) Haha!
I thought I'd share what Ian wrote at school when he was in first grade (winter of 2010):
It reads: "I am just like a snow flake Beecos I am deferent Than everyone else! I am deferent becos some harts are big and my hart is biger!"

No comments: