Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kodak? More Like Ko-DON'T!!

I absolutely loved my Kodak Easyshare digital camera and Kodak Easyshare All-in-One Printer when I got it a few years ago. Of course, they were the "things to have" at the time, and after using them, and buying ink for the printer, I understood what all the buzz was about. They were SUPER easy to hook up and use, and the ink... can't beat those prices! If you had asked me anytime between when I got them and 8 months later how I liked the camera & printer, I would've had nothing but good to say. BUT...
After having the printer for only 8 months, it started "acting up" and not wanting to print. I called Kodak, and was told to purchase and replace the printhead. Which I did. Then the printer kept telling me to "Replace the color ink cartridge." After buying an embarassing amount of ink cartridges (all new, all Kodak brand, and all for my model printer), I contacted Kodak again with the same problem. They suggested I buy more ink. What? I had well over $100 worth of new ink cartridges laying around and they want me to buy more! I don't think so! So they offered to send me an ink cartridge, because they could send me the "correct ink cartridge" for my printer and they could insure me that it would be new. Come on. Don't insult my intelligence, people. I know what kind of ink to buy for my printer, and I also know that paying full price for a new cartridge in the manufacturer's packaging BETTER have insured me that I bought a new cartridge!
Well, then the guy at Kodak tells me that it's my printhead again. Also, "have you downloaded the newest firmware." Yes, via instructions from their website, and I will not buy another printhead for it not to fix the problem. Could they assure me that it indeed would fix my printer? Well, maybe "you just need to buy a new printer." "I can offer you a 30 percent discount on the purchase of a new Kodak All-in-One printer/copier/scanner." Hummm...
I'll have to think hard about purchasing another Kodak. I've put more money in trying to fix my printer than I actually paid for it brand new. I mean, if I buy a new Kodak printer, I will have an enormous stockpile of ink for it. Not to mention two printheads that are perfectly fine.
When I mentioned my printer woes to Mom, and offered her lots of unused ink for her Kodak printer, she remembered having another Kodak printer in her basement that wasn't being used, if I wanted to give it a try. So I did. And guess what... "Replace color ink cartridge." I can't make this stuff up. I have the worst luck with these printers! So, I research their website once again. I have found numerous cases from other customers stating they're on their second or third Kodak printer because of similar problems. I just can't see me buying another Kodak printer if I'm gonna have to fix it before it goes out of warranty. It doesn't matter how cheap the printer or replacement ink cartridges are, if you have to buy them more frequently, it's not really as financially friendly as they advertise in the long run. I think I'm going with an HP printer.
After saying all this, I have a coupon for 30 percent off the purchase of a new Kodak All-in-One printer if anyone's interested. It expires 30 days from yesterday. No takers? I don't blame you.

No comments: