Friday, March 23, 2012

Show me the bacon!

I am a firm believer that a certain crispy, yet slightly chewy, and salty piece of meat makes every dish just a little bit better. Yes, I'm talking about BACON! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Maybe I'm just a little hungry this morning, but that little strip of heavenly pork is just amazing. I keep bacon in my house, whether it be fresh bacon ready to fry in my fridge, frozen bacon staring at me every time I open my freezer, just wanting to be thawed to awe, OR this unbelievably convenient and easy precooked bacon you can get just about anywhere. While I definitely don't discriminate as to which kind to use (cause come on, they're all amazing in their own way), I actually use the precooked variety most. (FYI: I have tried name brand and store brand and can't tell a bit of difference, so save a little green, in my opinion.) The mess is avoidable since it's already cooked, and if you want to heat it up, place it on a plate with a paper towel and in just a few seconds, yes SECONDS, you have wonderfully crisp, yet chewy bacon to devour. If you're using it in a recipe, which is my favorite way to use the precooked kind, cut it up with kitchen shears straight into the pan, or just tear it! How easy can you get, right?! So in my ode to bacon, I thought I'd share just one of the many family favorites for this household. I actually got the base of this creamy corn and bacon recipe from Sandra Lee, I believe, but with all my recipes, I tweak it until it's perfect for our tastes, so tweak away and let me know what you think when you try it!

Creamy Corn and Bacon

  • 2 TB butter
  • one medium yellow onion, diced
  • about 8 slices precooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 4 cans sweet whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth, optional
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 14 cup green onions, diced, optional
  • about 1/2-1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet on medium heat, melt butter and add yellow onion and saute until opaque. Add bacon (adding more slices if desired) and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add drained corn to skillet and stir. If chicken broth is desired, add now and cook until almost all liquid is gone. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook corn mixture for 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Add green onion, if desired. Add heavy cream, stir well, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. After cream has a chance to warm and thicken slightly, add Parmesan cheese, and remove from heat. Cream will thicken very slightly as it cools. Serve and enjoy!

This recipe actually tastes better as leftovers.

1 comment:

kimberly t. bowling said...

You had me at Bacon.... :)

I love it too and can't wait to try this recipe, sounds delish!